- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HRS 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4 to 6
Chef Way Vikram Sunderam marinates the shrimp twice: first in garlic and ginger, then in a more complex marinade that includes yogurt, cashews, jalapeño and mango pulp.
Easy Way Combine the most important ingredients into one marinade and substitute store-bought mango nectar for the pulp.
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 jalapeño, halved and seeded
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 cup mango nectar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 pounds shelled and deveined large shrimp
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Cilantro and Yogurt Sauce, for serving
- In a blender, combine the cashews, ginger, garlic, jalapeño, mustard seeds, garam masala and turmeric and pulse until the ginger and garlic are finely chopped. Add the mango nectar and lemon juice and puree until smooth, scraping down the side of the bowl. Add the yogurt and 1 tablespoon of salt and pulse to blend. Pour the mixture into a large bowl. Add the shrimp and toss to coat. Refrigerate for 2 hours, stirring once or twice.
- Light a grill. Thread the shrimp on pairs of skewers, being sure to leave on some of the marinade. Brush with the melted butter and sprinkle with salt. Oil the grate and grill the shrimp over high heat, turning occasionally, until lightly charred and cooked through, about 8 minutes. Serve the shrimp with the Cilantro and Yogurt Sauce.
A bright, citrusy Vermentino.