Mango-Raspberry Baked Alaskas
- ACTIVE: 25 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 4 HRS INCLUDING FREEZING
- SERVINGS: 4
- 1 cup unsweetened frozen raspberries, thawed
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 store-bought dry ladyfingers, halved crosswise
- 1 cup mango sorbet, slightly softened (see Note)
- 2 large egg whites
- Pinch of salt
- In a food processor, puree the raspberries with 1 tablespoon of the sugar. Using a rubber spatula, pass the puree through a fine strainer into a small bowl. Dip each ladyfinger half in the raspberry puree and turn to coat thoroughly. Lay 2 halves side by side on the bottom of each of four 3/4-cup ramekins. Spoon the remaining raspberry puree over the ladyfingers and let stand for 10 minutes to soften.
- Spoon 1/4 cup of the mango sorbet into each ramekin and spread it over the ladyfingers in an even layer. Cover the ramekins with plastic wrap and freeze until firm, about 30 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites and salt at high speed until soft peaks form. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the sugar over the whites and beat until incorporated. Sprinkle the remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar over the whites and beat until firm and glossy. Spoon the whites on top of the mango sorbet, making decorative swirls. Freeze until firm, about 3 hours.
- Preheat the broiler. Set the ramekins on a baking sheet and broil about 5 inches from the heat until the meringues are evenly browned. Serve the baked Alaskas immediately.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.