- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: makes 1 drink
Mixologists like Sean Beck at Houston's Backstreet Café are enamored with small-batch mezcals for the alluring smokiness they add to cocktails, as in Beck's riff on the paloma, a popular Mexican refresher.
- 1 1/2 ounces mezcal
- 1/2 ounce fresh lime juice
- 6 ounces mango soda, preferably R.W. Knudsen (available at Whole Foods)
- Small pinch pure chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coarsely chopped cilantro (optional)
- Fill a shaker halfway with ice. Add the mezcal, lime juice, mango soda and chili powder. Stir and strain into an ice-filled collins glass. Stir in the cilantro.