- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for sprinkling
- 4 ounces Manchego cheese, shredded
- Canola oil, for frying
- Hot sauce, for serving
How to make this recipe
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour with the baking powder and eggs. In a medium saucepan, bring the milk to a simmer with the butter and the 1 teaspoon of salt. Remove from the heat and gradually stir the warm milk into the flour mixture until smooth.
- Wipe out the saucepan. Scrape the batter into the pan and cook over moderately low heat, stirring constantly, until the batter starts to pull away from the side of the pan, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the shredded cheese; let cool.
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper. Scoop level tablespoons of the batter onto the baking sheet and roll them into balls. Refrigerate until firm, about 15 minutes.
- In a saucepan, heat 2 inches of oil to 350°. Working in batches, fry the cheese balls until crisp and golden, about 4 minutes. Drain the fritters on paper towels and sprinkle with salt. Serve warm, with hot sauce.
Contributed By Carmen González