- 1 1/2 pounds shelled and deveined large shrimp
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- One 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 1 large egg white
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- In a large bowl, toss the shrimp with the garlic, ginger, red pepper, egg white and 1 teaspoon of the cornstarch until well-coated.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the ketchup with the broth, sugar, pepper, salt and the remaining 1 teaspoon of cornstarch.
- In a very large skillet, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the shrimp and stir-fry over high heat until they begin to turn pink. Add the ketchup mixture and simmer until the shrimp are cooked, about 2 minutes. Stir in the scallions and cilantro and serve.
This goes well with a Spanish rosé.