Mama Chang's Stir-Fried Shrimp and Scallions
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Joanne Chang's mother used to make this sweet-and-spicy shrimp stir-fry all the time. When she was old enough to cook, Chang asked her mom for the recipe. "She hemmed and hawed until she finally gave it to me, revealing her secret ingredient: ketchup."
- 1 1/2 pounds shelled and deveined large shrimp
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- One 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 1 large egg white
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- In a large bowl, toss the shrimp with the garlic, ginger, red pepper, egg white and 1 teaspoon of the cornstarch until well-coated.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the ketchup with the broth, sugar, pepper, salt and the remaining 1 teaspoon of cornstarch.
- In a very large skillet, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the shrimp and stir-fry over high heat until they begin to turn pink. Add the ketchup mixture and simmer until the shrimp are cooked, about 2 minutes. Stir in the scallions and cilantro and serve.
This goes well with a Spanish rosé.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.