Malay Onion Sambal
- SERVINGS: MAKES ABOUT 1 1/2 CUPS
The onions in this condiment are salted and then rinsed, a process that softens them and removes any bitter juices.
- 3 medium onions, quartered lengthwise and very thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons strained apricot jam
- 2 1/2 tablespoons minced mint, cilantro or a mix of both
- 1 medium-hot fresh red chile, seeded and minced
- Set a colander in the sink. Add the onions and salt; rub the salt into the onions and squeeze them gently for a few minutes. Rinse the onions thoroughly under cold running water, then drain well and pat dry.
- In a small bowl, combine the vinegar and apricot jam. Stir in the onions and mint. Add the chile and serve.