Maine Lobster and Asparagus Salad with Curry Vinaigrette
- SERVINGS: 6
Curry oil adds an unusual twist to Melissa Kelly's succulent lobster salad. The recipe makes more oil than you'll need, so drizzle the extra on sea bass or swordfish before grilling. The curry oil needs to stand overnight, so plan accordingly.
- 1/4 cup Madras curry powder
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup light olive oil
- Three 1 1/4-pound lobsters
- 1 pound pencil-thin asparagus
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, very finely diced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 cups micro greens or mesclun (about 6 ounces)
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup snipped chives
- In a medium jar, stir the curry powder with the water to make a thick paste. Add the oil, cover tightly and shake to mix thoroughly. Let stand overnight. The next day, pour the curry oil into a clean jar, leaving all of the sediment behind.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the lobsters until bright red all over, about 12 minutes. Plunge the lobsters into ice water, then drain. Twist off the claws, crack them and remove the meat. With kitchen scissors, slit the tail shells lengthwise and remove the meat. Discard the vein that runs the length of each tail. Slice the tails crosswise 1/4 inch thick.
- Bring a medium skillet of salted water to a boil. Add the asparagus and cook until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Plunge the asparagus into ice water, then drain and pat dry.
- In a small bowl, pour the Champagne vinegar over the shallot and let stand for 10 minutes. Whisk in 5 tablespoons of the curry oil until blended. Add the red bell pepper and season the curry vinaigrette with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, toss the greens, cilantro and chives with half of the vinaigrette. Arrange the greens on a platter and surround with the asparagus. Top with the lobster, drizzle on the remaining vinaigrette and serve.
The sweet lobster and the curry vinaigrette in this salad call for a full-bodied, fruity Rhône-style white.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.