© Paul Costello
Mâche and Blood Orange Salad
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 4
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 blood oranges
- 1 lime plus 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 ounces mâche (8 cups)
- 1 Belgian endivecored, halved lengthwise and sliced crosswise
- 1 ounce spicy sprouts, such as radish
- In a small skillet, toast the fennel seeds until fragrant, about 1 minute. Transfer to a plate to cool.
- Using a sharp knife, peel the blood oranges and the lime, removing all of the bitter white pith. Cut in between the membranes to release the blood orange and lime sections into separate bowls. Squeeze the juice from 1 of the blood orange membranes into a small saucepan. Discard the other membranes.
- Add the lime juice, orange juice and sugar to the saucepan and simmer over low heat until reduced to 2 tablespoons, about 5 minutes. Add the juice to the lime sections. Let cool, then whisk in the grapeseed and olive oils and the fennel seeds. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, toss the mâche with the endive and sprouts. Add the dressing and toss to coat. Add the blood orange sections and toss again. Mound the salad on plates and serve.
Notes One Serving Calories 88 kcal, Total Fat 4.8 gm, Saturated Fat 0.5 gm, Protein 2 gm, Carbohydrates 11 gm.