- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons cake flour, plus more for dusting
- 1/4 cup low-fat (1.5%) buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons bourbon
- MAKE THE GLAZE In a bowl, combine the flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the oil and stir until combined. Using your fingers, pinch the mixture together to form crumbs.
- MAKE THE GLAZE Preheat the oven to 350°. Grease a 9-inch springform pan with the butter and dust with flour. In a small pitcher, combine the buttermilk and vanilla. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and mace. In a large bowl, beat the sugar and oil for 1 minute. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the flour mixture at low speed in 3 batches, alternating with the buttermilk, just until the batter is smooth.
- MAKE THE GLAZE Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and scatter the crumbs on top. Bake the cake in the center of the oven for about 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer the cake to a rack to cool slightly.
- MAKE THE GLAZE In a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar with the bourbon; add up to 1/2 teaspoon of water if the glaze is too stiff. Using a small spoon, drizzle the glaze over the warm cake. Let cool before unmolding.
The cake can be wrapped in plastic and kept at room temperature for up to 5 days or frozen for up to 1 month.
One Serving Calories 399 kcal, Total Fat 16.7 gm, Saturated Fat 1.7 gm