- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2/3 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 cups mixed shredded semihard cheeses, such as Mimolette, aged Gouda and Vella dry jack (1/2 pound)
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the broiler. In a medium saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the macaroni until al dente; drain well.
- Meanwhile, in another medium saucepan, melt the butter over low heat. Whisk in the flour until a paste forms. Gradually whisk in the milk until smooth. Bring the sauce to a boil over moderately high heat, whisking, until thickened. Off the heat, stir in the mixed shredded cheeses until melted. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the macaroni to the hot cheese sauce and stir to coat; transfer to a 9-by-13-inch glass or ceramic baking dish and sprinkle on the Parmigiano-Reggiano. Broil 4 inches from the heat for 4 minutes, until richly browned. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
The cheese sauce can be refrigerated for up to 2 days. Reheat thoroughly before adding the macaroni.
A ripe Grenache is bold enough to stand up to this rich mac and cheese.