- TOTAL TIME: 15 MIN plus overnight soaking
- SERVINGS: makes about 2/3 cup
To make the dairy-free nut cream she serves over her delicious grilled zucchini ribbons, Alyssa Gorelick thickens macadamia milk with xanthan gum, available at health food stores. She drizzles the extra cream on stir-fries.
- 1/2 cup raw macadamia nuts (2 ounces)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- In a bowl, cover the macadamia nuts with the water. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature overnight.
- Pour the nuts and water into a blender and puree. Strain the nut milk through a fine sieve into a bowl, pressing on the solids to extract as much milk as possible.
- Rinse out the blender and return the strained milk to it. Add the lime juice and agave nectar. With the machine on, add the xanthan gum and blend until the cream is light and airy, about 1 minute. Scrape the cream into a bowl and season with salt.