- 1 pound radiatore pasta
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon sodium citrate (see Note)
- 1 pound aged extra-sharp cheddar, preferably Tillamook, shredded
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 cups crumbled buttery crackers, preferably Ritz
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 375°. In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook the pasta until al dente. Drain and transfer to a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
In a medium saucepan, bring the milk and sodium citrate to a simmer. Whisk in the cheddar, 1/2 cup at a time, until smooth. Whisk in the Worcestershire and the salt. Pour the sauce over the pasta.
In a bowl, mix the crackers with the butter, Parmesan and pepper; sprinkle over the pasta. Bake the mac and cheese for 20 minutes, until bubbling and the top is browned. Let stand for 5 minutes; serve.
Sodium citrate is available on amazon.com. To make this recipe in eight 1-cup ramekins, halve the crumble and bake the mac and cheese at 375 F degrees for 8 to 10 minutes.