- 3/4 cup roasted peanut oil (See note)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 star anise pod
- 1/2 small cinnamon stick
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons Sichuan peppercorns
- 1/2 cup dried hot Chinese chiles
- 1/4 cup toasted sesame oil
How to make this recipe
In a small saucepan, heat the oil over low heat to 175°. Add the ginger, star anise, cinnamon, shallot, garlic, Sichuan peppercorns and chiles and cook over moderately low heat until the oil reaches 225°. Simmer at 225° for 5 minutes, then transfer to a heatproof jar and let cool. Stir in the sesame oil.
The Ma La Oil can be kept in a sealed jar at room temperature for up to 1 week.
Roasted peanut oil, as opposed to neutral peanut oil, smells richly nutty. Boyajin's Fragrant Peanut Oil is available at specialty markets and from mingspantry.com.