- 8 lamb rib chops (2 1/2 pounds)
- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- One 3-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon malt vinegar
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Using a paring knife, cut a few 1/4-inch-deep slashes in each lamb chop. In a large bowl, whisk the yogurt with the heavy cream, lemon juice, ginger, garlic, malt vinegar, garam masala, cumin, paprika, cayenne, mace, nutmeg and 1 teaspoon of salt. Transfer the lamb chops to the marinade and turn to coat, then cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Add the oil to the marinade and toss with the lamb chops. Remove the chops from the marinade and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Light a grill. Season the chops with salt and grill over moderately high heat for 8 minutes, turning once, until well browned. Brush both sides of the chops with the melted butter and grill for another 2 minutes per side for medium-rare.
These meaty chops taste even better with a fruity red that has enough structure to cut through the rich yogurt marinade. The ideal choice a plummy Cabernet Shiraz.