Luscious Tandoori Lamb Chops
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 10 MIN plus overnight marinating
- SERVINGS: 4
Suvir Saran thinks these sizzling, marinated chops, inspired by a recipe from the 90-year-old restaurant Karim in the Grand Mosque (Jama Masjid) area of Delhi, epitomize the very best of northwestern India's opulent Moghul cuisine. To give the marinade the richness of Indian yogurt, which is made from whole milk, Saran adds heavy cream. At Karim (and at Dévi and Véda), these chops are cooked in a searingly hot tandoor (clay oven), so grilling is a good alternative.
- 8 lamb rib chops (2 1/2 pounds)
- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- One 3-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon malt vinegar
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Using a paring knife, cut a few 1/4-inch-deep slashes in each lamb chop. In a large bowl, whisk the yogurt with the heavy cream, lemon juice, ginger, garlic, malt vinegar, garam masala, cumin, paprika, cayenne, mace, nutmeg and 1 teaspoon of salt. Transfer the lamb chops to the marinade and turn to coat, then cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Add the oil to the marinade and toss with the lamb chops. Remove the chops from the marinade and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Light a grill. Season the chops with salt and grill over moderately high heat for 8 minutes, turning once, until well browned. Brush both sides of the chops with the melted butter and grill for another 2 minutes per side for medium-rare.
These meaty chops taste even better with a fruity red that has enough structure to cut through the rich yogurt marinade. The ideal choice a plummy Cabernet Shiraz.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.