© Reed Davis
- SERVINGS: 4
More Satisfying Vegetarian Recipes
- 2 quarts water
- 5 ounces mung bean or soybean sprouts (2 cups)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 pound fresh Chinese egg noodles
- 1/4 cup chicken stock, vegetable stock, or canned low-sodium broth
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon light soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- One 1/4-inch-thick slice of fresh ginger, lightly smashed
- 1/4 pound snow peas
- 3 large fresh water chestnuts, peeled and sliced 1/8 inch thick
- Bring the water to a boil in a large saucepan. Put the bean sprouts in a strainer, lower it into the boiling water and blanch the bean sprouts for 10 seconds. Remove the strainer and rinse the sprouts in cold water; drain well.
- Add the salt to the water in the saucepan and bring it back to a boil. Add the noodles and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Drain the noodles thoroughly in a colander and rinse them in cold water; drain. Rinse again then drain, lifting them to separate and dry the strands.
- In a small bowl, combine the chicken stock with the soy sauce and sesame oil to make the sauce.
- Warm a wok over high heat for 45 seconds. Add the peanut oil and swirl to coat the wok. Stir in the ginger and cook for 10 seconds. Add the snow peas and stir-fry until bright green, about 1 minute. Add the water chestnuts and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add the bean sprouts and stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Stir the sauce, add it to the wok and bring to a boil. Add the noodles and stir-fry until they absorb the sauce, about 1 1/2 minutes. Transfer the noodles to a platter and serve at once.
NotesOne Serving Calories 138 kcal, Total Fat 4.1 gm, Saturated Fat .2 gm