- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 fennel bulb—halved, cored and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- Two 28-ounce cans whole peeled tomatoes, crushed by hand and drained
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup gochujang (Korean chile paste)
- 1/4 gochujang
How to make this recipe
In a large saucepan, heat the oil. Add the fennel, garlic and
a pinch of salt and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 15 minutes. Add the tomatoes and vinegar and bring to a boil.
Simmer over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until nearly all the liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a blender. Add the gochujang and puree until very smooth. Season with salt and let cool completely, then refrigerate until chilled.