Lobster Caesar Salad
- SERVINGS: 4
For a richer salad, add an egg yolk to the dressing. If you prefer not to eat raw egg, the dressing will still taste delicious without it.
- Two 1 1/2-pound lobsters
- 5 garlic cloves—2 minced and 3 smashed
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 anchovy fillets, minced
- 1 large egg yolk (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup 1/2-inch-square bread cubes
- One 1-pound head romaine lettuce, large leaves torn into pieces, small leaves left whole
- 1 cup small frisée or chicory leaves in torn pieces
- 1/2 pound peeled celery root, cut into 2-inch matchsticks
- In a large pot of boiling water, cook the lobsters until bright red all over, about 8 minutes. Drain the lobsters and when cool enough to handle, crack the claws and knuckles and remove the meat. Split the tails lengthwise, remove the meat and remove and discard the dark vein. Cut the tail meat in half lengthwise. Refrigerate the lobster meat until ready to use.
- In a small bowl, combine the minced garlic cloves, lemon juice, anchovies, egg yolk (if using), Worcestershire and mustard. Whisk in the olive oil, then add 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan cheese and season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 400°. In a small saucepan, combine the butter with the smashed garlic cloves. Cook over low heat until the garlic has flavored the butter, about 2 minutes. Let cool slightly, then discard the garlic. In a cake pan, toss the bread cubes with the garlic butter. Spread them in an even layer and bake until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- In a large salad bowl, combine the romaine, frisée and celery root. Pour the dressing over the lettuce mixture and toss well. Add the croutons and remaining 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese and toss well again. Mound the salad on 4 plates. Garnish each salad with a lobster claw and half of a lobster tail.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.