© Sara Remington
Little Gem Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Nancy Silverton's lovely salad, adapted from her Mozza Cookbook, features Little Gem lettuce, a smaller, sweeter variety of romaine. If you can't find it, use hearts of romaine instead.
- 1 cup walnut halves
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil
- Kosher salt
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Champagne vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4 ounces yellow squash, thinly sliced
- 3 thin red onion slices, separated into rings
- 4 heads Little Gem lettuce
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese, plus more for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Toast the walnuts on a pie plate until golden, 12 minutes. Let cool, then coarsely chop the nuts. Transfer to a bowl and toss with the walnut oil and a pinch of salt. In a small bowl, combine the shallot, lemon juice and vinegar and season with salt. Let stand for 10 minutes. Slowly whisk in the olive oil and season with pepper.
- In a large bowl, toss the squash with the onion, lettuce, walnuts, pecorino and half of the dressing and serve. Reserve the remaining dressing for another use.