- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon flaky sea salt
- 4 beets (2 pounds), peeled and cut into wedges
- 2 medium red onions, cut into wedges
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoon honey
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 heads of Little Gem or baby romaine lettuce (10 ounces)
- Chopped cilantro and mint, for garnish
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 375°. In a small skillet, toast the cumin seeds over low heat until fragrant, 2 minutes; let cool.
In a mortar, coarsely grind the cumin seeds with the salt. Transfer to a bowl and add the beets, onions and olive oil; toss to coat. Scrape the vegetables onto a rimmed baking sheet and roast for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally, until tender. Let cool to room temperature.
In a bowl, whisk the lemon juice and honey. In another bowl, mix the feta, yogurt and lemon zest so it remains a bit chunky. Season with pepper.
Arrange the lettuce on plates. Top with the beets and onions and drizzle the lemon honey on top. Dollop the feta dressing on the salad; season with pepper. Garnish with cilantro and mint and serve.
The roasted beets can be refrigerated overnight.