Linzer Cookies with Spiced Jam
- ACTIVE: 1 HR
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HRS
- SERVINGS: Makes about 3 dozen cookies
Kevin Sbraga credits his father, Harvey Beachem, with creating these linzer torte–inspired cookies at Harvey's Bakery in Willingboro, New Jersey. He takes his father's recipe one step further, adding anise and coriander to the raspberry jam that he spreads between the hazelnut cookies (which are spiced with cinnamon and cloves).
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 1/4 cups hazelnuts with skin
- 1 1/2 cups bread flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- 3/4 cup seedless raspberry preserves
- 1/4 teaspoon anise seeds, ground in a spice grinder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- In a standing electric mixer fitted with the paddle, beat the butter with the granulated sugar at medium speed until creamy. Add the egg yolks and lemon zest and beat until smooth. In a food processor, combine the hazelnuts with the bread flour and process until the nuts are finely ground. Add the cinnamon and cloves and pulse to combine. Add the dry ingredients to the mixing bowl and beat on low speed until smooth. Pat the dough into 2 disks, wrap in plastic and refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350° and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Working in batches if necessary, roll out the dough 1/4 inch thick on a lightly floured surface. Using a 2-inch round cutter, stamp out cookies as close together as possible. Using a small decorative cookie cutter, stamp out the centers of half of the cookies. Transfer the whole cookies to 1 prepared baking sheet and the cut-out cookies to another.
- Bake the cookies in the upper and middle thirds of the oven for about 15 minutes, until lightly browned around the edges. Let cool on the baking sheets. Meanwhile, refrigerate the scraps until chilled, then reroll, stamp out more cookies and bake.
- Dust the tops of the cut-out cookies with confectioners' sugar. In a small bowl, whisk the raspberry preserves with the ground anise and coriander. Spoon the preserves onto the whole cookies, cover with the sugar-dusted cookies and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.