- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 1/2 pounds small zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/3 inch thick
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound linguine
- 1/4 cup chopped pitted kalamata olives
- 1 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
In a very large, deep skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the sausage,and cook over moderately high heat until browned all over, about 8 minutes. Transfer the sausage to a plate and break into small pieces. Add the zucchini to the skillet, season with salt and pepper and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until tender and lightly browned, about 8 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the linguine until al dente. Drain the pasta, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid. Return the sausage to the skillet and add the olives, pasta and reserved cooking liquid. Add the cheese and a generous pinch of pepper and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the pasta is suspended in a thick creamy sauce, about 2 minutes longer. Transfer the pasta to shallow bowls and serve.