- 1 pound thin linguine
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- One 1/4 -inch-thick slice of prosciutto, cut into 3-by-1/4-inch matchsticks
- 1/2 cup drained, oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, cut into thin strips
- Crushed red pepper
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- 1/4 pound Italian Gorgonzola cheese
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the linguine until al dente. Drain the pasta, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid. Return the pasta to the pot, cover partially and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large nonreactive skillet. Add the shallots and cook over moderately high heat for 1 minute. Stir in the prosciutto and sun-dried tomatoes. Season with crushed red pepper, salt and black pepper and cook for 5 minutes. Add 1/4 cup of the chicken stock and stir up any browned bits clinging to the bottom of the pan. Pour the sauce over the pasta and toss well.
- Add the remaining 1/2 cup chicken stock and the Gorgonzola to the skillet and stir over moderate heat until creamy. Strain the sauce over the pasta, add the parsley and toss, adding some of the reserved cooking liquid if the pasta seems dry. Serve at once.
A lightly dressed green salad and a crusty loaf of Italian bread.