- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced garlic (6 cloves)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup slivered basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 pound tomatoespeeled, seeded and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Pecorino Toscano or mild Pecorino Romano cheese, plus more for serving
- 1 pound linguine
How to make this recipe
In a mortar, pound the garlic to a paste with the salt. Stir in the olive oil, then add the basil and lemon juice and pound gently until the basil is bruised. Scrape the sauce into a large pasta bowl and add the tomatoes and 1/4 cup of Pecorino Toscano cheese.
Cook the linguine in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente. Drain lightly. Immediately transfer the pasta to the bowl and toss until coated with the sauce. Serve at once, passing more Pecorino at the table.
Try a white from Sicily with a lively bite.