- SERVINGS: MAKES 2 CUPS
Although we love City Bakery's new savory dishes, the place is, after all, a bakery best known for its tarts. Lime cream, one of Maury Rubin's favorite tart fillings, is also great spread on pound cake, pancakes and vanilla sugar cookies.
Plus: More Dessert Recipes and Tips
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon finely grated lime zest
- 1/2 cup of fresh lime juice
- 4 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 6 tablespoons of cold unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons
- In a bowl, rub the sugar with the lime zest using your hands.
- In a nonreactive medium saucepan, whisk the lime juice with the eggs, egg yolk and lime sugar until well blended. Add the butter and whisk over moderate heat until small bubbles appear around the sides. Immediately remove from the heat and strain the lime cream through a fine sieve into a bowl.
- Press a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the lime cream and let cool completely, then refrigerate until chilled. The cream can be refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.