© Lucy Schaeffer
Lime Cream-Blackberry Pie
- ACTIVE: 55 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 35 MIN Plus at least 4 hr chilling
- SERVINGS: 12
Writer Colleen Hubbard turns frozen blackberries into a zippy jam for this pie's lime filling. Jarred preserves are also good.
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups blackberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon powdered gelatin
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- One 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons lime zest
- 3/4 cup fresh lime juice
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a bowl, combine the crumbs, sugar and butter. Press the mixture over the bottom and up the side of a 9-inch glass pie plate. Bake the crust for 15 minutes; let cool.
- In a saucepan, simmer the blackberries, stirring to prevent scorching, 10 minutes. Stir in the sugar and cook until the mixture is thick and jammy, 40 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and let cool.
- In a heatproof bowl, sprinkle the gelatin over the hot water; let stand until softened, 10 minutes. In a bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the condensed milk, cream, lime zest, lime juice and gelatin until soft peaks form. Spread the cooled blackberry jam over the crust; top with the lime cream and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, until firm. Serve.