Ligurian Olive Oil Cake
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 50 MIN plus cooling
- SERVINGS: one 10-inch cake
Ligurian olive oil is ideal in this lovely, light cake, because it’s more delicate and buttery than many other Italian oils.
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus more for greasing
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons whole milk, at room temperature
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- Finely grated zest of 2 lemons or tangerines
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter and flour a 10-inch round cake pan.
- Into a medium bowl, sift together the 1 3/4 cups of flour, baking powder and salt. In another medium bowl, whisk the melted butter with the olive oil and milk.
- In a large bowl, using a handheld mixer, beat the eggs with the sugar and citrus zest until pale and thickened, about 3 minutes. Alternately beat in the dry and wet ingredients, starting and ending with the dry ingredients. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for about 30 minutes, until the cake is golden brown and the side pulls away from the pan. Transfer the cake to a rack and let cool before serving.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.