- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large leeks, white and tender green parts, thinly sliced
- One 2-pound cauliflower, cut into large florets
- 6 cups water
- 1/3 cup crème fraîche
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely diced peeled cucumber
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 Wellfleet oysters, shucked, liquor reserved
- Osetra caviar (optional)
Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the leeks and cook over low heat until tender, about 8 minutes. Add the cauliflower and water and bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat until the cauliflower is soft, about 35 minutes. Add the crème fraîche, bring back to a simmer and remove from the heat.
Puree the soup in a blender in batches until very smooth. Season with salt and pepper and chill thoroughly.
Just before serving, combine the cucumber, chives, shallot, vinegar and olive oil in a small bowl. Ladle the cold soup into 4 shallow bowls and spoon an oyster and some of its liquor into the center of each. Spoon the cucumber mixture around the oysters, top with a dollop of osetra caviar and serve.