- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound French garlic sausage or kielbasa, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 leeks, white and tender green parts only, thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups French green lentils
- 3 thyme sprigs, 1 rosemary sprig and 1 fresh bay leaf, tied in a bundle
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 small head of escarole, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
How to make this recipe
- In a large, heavy Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the garlic sausage and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until browned, 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the sausage to a plate.
- Add the leeks, carrot and garlic to the Dutch oven and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 7 minutes. Add the lentils, herb bundle and 5 cups of water and bring to a boil. Season with salt and simmer over low heat, until the lentils are tender, about 35 minutes. Discard the herb bundle.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°. Spread the hazelnuts in a pie plate and toast for about 12 minutes, until golden. Let cool, then transfer the nuts to a kitchen towel and rub off the skins. Coarsely chop the nuts.
- In a small bowl, combine the mustard with the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the escarole to the stew and cook until wilted, 6 minutes. Stir in the sausage and cook until hot. Transfer the stew to bowls and drizzle with the mustard oil. Garnish with the nuts and parsley and serve.
Berry-rich Cabernet Franc.