- 2 quarts water
- 1 pound brown lentils
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chives
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped thyme
How to make this recipe
- In a large saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Add the lentils, season with salt and pepper and simmer over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 25 minutes. Drain the lentils and transfer to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the wine with the lemon juice, mustard and sugar. Slowly whisk in the olive oil until blended and season with salt and pepper. Add the vinaigrette, celery, onion, chives and thyme to the lentils, toss well and serve.
The salad can be refrigerated overnight. Allow to come to room temperature before serving.