- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 3/4 pound garlic sausage, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 large carrots, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium fennel bulb, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups French green lentils (1 pound plus 5 ounces)
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1 quart water
- 1 teaspoon chopped rosemary
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 1/2 ounces Manchego cheese, shredded (3/4 cup)
How to make this recipe
- Heat the 1/4 cup of olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the sausage and cook over moderately low heat until it starts to brown, about 7 minutes. Add the carrots, garlic, onion, fennel and bay leaf and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 8 minutes. Add the wine and boil over moderately high heat until the pan is almost dry, about 5 minutes. Stir in the lentils, broth and water and bring to a boil. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are tender, 1 hour. Discard the bay leaf.
- Stir the rosemary into the soup and season with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls. Sprinkle with cheese, then drizzle with olive oil and serve.
A Paso Robles Merlot matches well with this garlicky, robust soup.