- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter and flour a 9-inch-square cake pan. In a bowl, whisk the flour with the baking soda and salt. In a bowl, beat the butter with the sugar until smooth. Beat in the yogurt, followed by the eggs, lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla. Gradually beat in the dry ingredients until blended.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 45 minutes, or until golden brown and a cake tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Transfer the cake to a rack to cool for 10 minutes, then invert the cake onto the rack and let cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar before serving.
Sliced pears tossed in a little lemon juice.
A lively Late Harvest Riesling from California will echo this cake's tangy sweetness.