Lemony Waldorf Salad
- TOTAL TIME: 25 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
The Good News For this refreshingly crunchy salad, Mark Peel adds mineral-rich romaine lettuce, frisée and sliced radishes to the classic Waldorf salad mix of apples, celery and walnuts. In place of the traditional mayonnaise-based dressing, he makes a lemon–walnut oil vinaigrette flavored with cumin.
Great Green Salads
- 1/2 cup walnut halves (2 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups shredded romaine lettuce (4 ounces)
- 4 large radishes, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise (1 cup)
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery hearts (from 4 inner ribs) plus 1/4 cup chopped celery leaves
- 1 small head of frisée (6 ounces), coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1 Fuji apple—peeled, quartered, cored and thinly sliced crosswise
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Spread the walnuts in a pie plate and toast for about 8 minutes, until golden and fragrant. Let the nuts cool, then break into pieces.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the shallot and lemon zest with the lemon juice and vinegar. Whisk in the canola and walnut oils and the cumin. Season the dressing with salt and pepper.
- Add the shredded romaine lettuce to the bowl along with the toasted walnuts, radishes, sliced celery hearts, celery leaves, chopped frisée, raisins and apple. Toss well and serve right away.