- 1 small head frisée lettuce
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 large scallion, minced
- 10 ounces skinless smoked trout fillets, shredded
- Freshly ground pepper
- 32 red endive leaves, or 1 medium head radicchio, leaves torn into 2-inch pieces
- Reserve 32 small frisée leaves for garnish. Coarsely chop 1 cup of the frisée; reserve the rest for another use. In a medium bowl, blend the mayonnaise with the lemon juice, mustard and scallion. Fold in the trout and chopped frisée and season with pepper.
- Arrange the endive leaves on a platter. Mound 1 tablespoon of the smoked trout salad on each leaf, garnish with the reserved frisée leaves and serve.
The smoked trout salad can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.
If frisee is difficult to find, substitute another bitter green, like escarole. Look for a head of young escarole, chop it very finely and add it to the salad just before serving.