Lemony Shrimp Salad
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 4
Chef Way Richard Reddington tosses butter lettuce and shrimp in a lemony vinaigrette, then tops the dish with a second salad of romaine, tomato, avocado and bacon in a Caesar dressing.
Easy Way Combine the best elements of both salads to create one amazing dish.
- 1/2 lemon, plus 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 pound shelled and deveined medium shrimp
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed or vegetable oil
- Pinch of sugar
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 hearts of romaine, cut into 1-inch-wide ribbons
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 Hass avocado, diced
- 2 tablespoons snipped chives
- Fill a medium saucepan with water. Squeeze the lemon half into the water, then add it to the water with the peppercorns and a generous pinch of salt; bring to a boil. Add the shrimp and simmer until curled and just pink, about 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the shrimp to a paper towel-lined plate. Freeze the shrimp until just chilled, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk the lemon juice with the olive oil, grapeseed oil, sugar and a generous pinch each of salt and pepper. Add the romaine, tomatoes, avocado and shrimp and toss. Transfer to plates, garnish with the chives and serve.
Chris Blanchard pairs a slightly riper, more full-bodied Sauvignon Blanc with this dish.