- 16 jumbo shrimp (1 1/2 pounds)
- 3 garlic cloves
- One 3/4-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 1 tablespoon chopped oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 lemon, zest finely grated and lemon cut in half
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Freshly ground pepper
How to make this recipe
- Using kitchen scissors, cut down the back of each shrimp through the shell and halfway through the meat. Remove the dark veins and transfer the shrimp in their shells to a large bowl.
- In a mortar or food processor, crush the garlic, ginger, oregano, sage, cilantro, crushed red pepper and lemon zest with 1 teaspoon of kosher salt until a coarse paste forms. Stir in the 1/2 cup of olive oil. Pour the mixture over the shrimp and toss to coat thoroughly. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Light a grill. Grill the shrimp over moderately high heat, turning once, until white throughout, about 4 minutes. Transfer the grilled shrimp to plates. Squeeze the lemon halves over the shrimp, drizzle with olive oil, season lightly with salt and pepper and serve at once.
Australian Riesling, with its dry intensity and citrus acidity, is a great partner for shellfish.