© Dana Gallagher
Lemony Fresh Herb Coolers
- SERVINGS: Makes about 8 drinks
The combination of fresh basil, cilantro, mint and tarragon makes an unusually refreshing drink.
Cocktail Party Recipes
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups (packed) basil leaves and small sprigs
- 1 cup (packed) cilantro leaves and small sprigs
- 1 cup (packed) mint leaves and small sprigs
- 2 tablespoons tarragon leaves
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Cold club soda
- Lemon twists and mint sprigs, for garnish
- In a medium saucepan, combine the water and sugar and bring to a boil, stirring with a wooden spoon until the sugar dissolves. Reduce the heat to moderate and simmer for 5 minutes; let the sugar syrup cool.
- In a blender or food processor, combine the sugar syrup with the basil, cilantro, mint, tarragon, lemon zest and lemon juice and puree. Let stand for 1 hour, then strain through a coarse sieve, pressing on the solids with the back of a spoon to extract as much liquid as possible.
- For each drink, pour 1/4 cup of the fresh herb syrup over cracked ice and fill with club soda. Garnish the drinks with a lemon twist and mint sprigs and serve.
Make AheadThe herb syrup can be refrigerated overnight.
NotesVariation To make a cocktail, add half a shot of vodka and half a shot of rum to each drink.