- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- Pinch of sugar
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium heads of escarole, inner light green and white leaves only, torn into bite-size pieces
- 2 large peaches—halved, pitted and thinly sliced
- 2 cups yellow cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 Persian cucumbers, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/2 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 6 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (about 1 1/2 cups)
- Ground sumac (see Note) and/or dried oregano, for garnish (optional)
- In a large bowl, whisk the olive oil with the lemon zest, juice, garlic and sugar. Season the dressing with salt and pepper and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Add the escarole, peaches, tomatoes, cucumbers and onion to the dressing and toss well. Season the salad with salt and pepper and transfer to a serving platter. Scatter the feta on top, sprinkle with the sumac and serve.
Sumac, a fruity, tart Middle Eastern spice, is available at spice shops and online from kalustyans.com.