- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- Pinch of sugar
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium heads of escarole, inner light green and white leaves only, torn into bite-size pieces
- 2 large peaches—halved, pitted and thinly sliced
- 2 cups yellow cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 Persian cucumbers, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/2 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 6 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (about 1 1/2 cups)
- Ground sumac (see Note) and/or dried oregano, for garnish (optional)
How to make this recipe
In a large bowl, whisk the olive oil with the lemon zest, juice, garlic and sugar. Season the dressing with salt and pepper and let stand for 10 minutes.
Add the escarole, peaches, tomatoes, cucumbers and onion to the dressing and toss well. Season the salad with salt and pepper and transfer to a serving platter. Scatter the feta on top, sprinkle with the sumac and serve.
Sumac, a fruity, tart Middle Eastern spice, is available at spice shops and online from kalustyans.com.