- 5 ounces dried sour cherries (1 cup)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Finely grated zest of 2 lemons
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes and chilled
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 egg yolk mixed with 1 tablespoon of water
- Coarse sugar, for sprinkling
Preheat the oven to 350°. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. In a heatproof measuring cup, cover the dried sour cherries with hot tap water and let stand for 15 minutes. Drain and pat dry.
In a medium bowl, mix the flour with the cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt and lemon zest. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in the butter until it is the size of small peas. Add the cherries. In the measuring cup, combine the milk, maple syrup and vanilla. Add the liquid to the bowl and stir with a wooden spoon until the dough is evenly moistened; it will be a little wet.
Scoop 1/4 cup mounds of dough onto the baking sheet, spacing them 2 inches apart. Brush the tops with the egg wash and sprinkle lightly with coarse sugar. Bake for about 30 minutes, until golden. Transfer the scones to a rack to cool slightly. Serve warm or at room temperature.