Lemony Chickpea Bruschetta
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HRS 30 MIN Plus Overnight Soaking
- SERVINGS: 8
- 2 cups dried chickpeas, soaked in cold water overnight and drained
- 1 small carrot
- 1 celery rib
- 1 small onion, halved
- 1 small fennel bulb, halved
- 5 garlic cloves
- 3 thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 preserved lemon—pulp discarded and peel finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- In a saucepan, cover the chickpeas with water. Add the carrot, celery, onion, fennel, garlic, thyme, bay leaf and 1/4 cup of the olive oil. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook over low heat until the chickpeas are tender, about 1 hour. Let the chickpeas cool in the liquid to room temperature, then drain, reserving 3/4 cup of the cooking liquid. Discard the vegetables and herbs.
- Set aside 1/2 cup of the chickpeas. In a food processor, puree the remaining chickpeas with the reserved 3/4 cup of cooking liquid and the remaining 1/4 cup of oil. Season with salt and pepper. Scrape the puree into a large bowl, stir in the parsley, preserved lemon peel, lemon juice and the reserved 1/2 cup of chickpeas and serve.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.