© Petrina Tinslay
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- One 19-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Kosher salt
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup Oven-Dried Tomatoes, coarsely chopped, plus 4 garlic cloves from the jar
- Crusty bread, for serving
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil. Add the shallot and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the chickpeas, oregano, bay leaf and crushed red pepper and season with salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until the herbs are fragrant, about 5 minutes. Add the broth and lemon juice and bring to a boil. Simmer the stew over moderately low heat until the broth is reduced by half, about 20 minutes. Stir in the Oven-Dried Tomatoes and the garlic and simmer for 5 minutes. Discard the bay leaf. Season the stew with salt and serve with crusty bread.
Make AheadThe stew can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.