- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts or trimmed thighs, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce, plus more for seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- Steamed rice, for serving
How to make this recipe
In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the chicken and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until browned all over, 3 minutes. Stir in the soy sauce and sesame oil, season with salt and pepper and stir-fry until the chicken is cooked through, 3 minutes longer. Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon zest and lemon juice. Season with salt, pepper and soy sauce. Transfer the chicken to a platter, top with the sliced scallion and serve with rice.
Medium-bodied California Sauvignon Blanc.