Lemony Butter Cookies
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 15 MIN
- SERVINGS: Makes 36
Using confectioners' sugar in the dough in place of granulated sugar gives these cookies a light deliciously crumb.
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- Finely grated lemon zest, for garnish
- MAKE THE COOKIES Preheat the oven to 350° and position racks in the upper and lower thirds. In a large bowl, using a handheld electric mixer, beat the butter with the confectioners' sugar until very smooth, about 2 minutes. Beat in the lemon zest and juice, then beat in the flour and salt until just incorporated; scrape down the side of the bowl as necessary.
- Roll half of the dough into 1-inch balls. Arrange the balls 1 inch apart on 2 baking sheets and, using your fingers, gently flatten each cookie. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, until the cookies are lightly browned on the bottom and just firm; shift the baking sheets from top to bottom and front to back halfway through baking. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheets for 2 minutes, then transfer them to a rack to cool completely. Let the baking sheets cool slightly, then repeat with the remaining dough.
- MEANWHILE, MAKE THE GLAZE In a bowl, whisk the confectioners' sugar with the lemon juice and butter until smooth.
- Spread the lemon glaze on the cooled cookies and garnish with finely grated lemon zest. Let stand until the glaze is set, about 15 minutes.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.