Lemony Bulgur Salad with Shrimp and Spinach
- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HR 10 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
Bulgur (a quick-cooking form of whole wheat) is usually boiled before it's eaten, but for this terrific main-course salad, Melissa Rubel Jacobson simply softens it in warm tap water before tossing it with baby spinach and precooked shrimp.
More Alternatives to Rice
- 1 1/2 cups coarse bulgur
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons chopped dill
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound large cooked shrimp, shelled
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a bowl, cover the bulgur with warm tap water. Let stand until the grains are tender, about 2 hours. Drain the bulgur well.
- In a large bowl, whisk the lemon zest with the lemon juice and chopped dill. Whisk in the olive oil. Add the bulgur, shrimp, baby spinach, sliced radishes and pine nuts and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Portugal's Vinho Verde is often overlooked in the United States, but it's one of the best wines for citrusy seafood dishes, like this bulgur and shrimp salad. Plus, even the best bottlings tend to be very affordable.