Lemongrass Wet Rub
- TOTAL TIME: 10 MIN
- SERVINGS: makes a scant 1/2 cup
"Wet" rubs generally combine vegetable oil with flavorings—like the lemongrass, ginger, garlic, cilantro and jalapeño here. Grace Parisi uses this rub in her Asian twist on the tuna burger, spiked with smoky bacon.
- 2 stalks of fresh lemongrass, the bottom 5 inches of the inner bulb only, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 medium jalapeño, halved
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves
- In a food processor, combine the sliced lemongrass with the fresh ginger, garlic and halved jalapeño and pulse until finely chopped. Add the vegetable oil and process to a coarse paste. Add the cilantro leaves and process until fairly smooth. Season the wet rub generously with salt.
Make Ahead The rub can be refrigerated for up to 3 days. Notes Best Uses Try the lemongrass rub on tuna and other kinds of lean fish, or blend it with a little more vegetable oil and use as the base for chicken or vegetable stir-fries. You can also rub it onto chicken, seafood, pork and beef, or stir it into ground pork or turkey for meatballs, meat loaf or burgers.