© Michael Turek
Lemongrass Shrimp on Toast
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN Plus 4 hr marinating
- SERVINGS: 6
For his elegant hors d'oeuvres, Zang Toi marinates shrimp in a spicy coconut-milk mixture, then serves them on toast squares moistened with a little crème fraîche.
More Delicious Shrimp Dishes
- 8 macadamia nuts, chopped
- 3 medium shallots, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 small dried red chiles, crushed
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh lemongrass bulb
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Kosher salt
- 1 pound medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 thin slices of white sandwich breadcrusts removed, toasted and cut into 4 squares each
- 1/2 cup crème fraîche
- Cilantro leaves, for garnish
- In a mini processor, puree the nuts, shallots, garlic, chiles, lemongrass, ginger, lime juice and sugar. Transfer the paste to a bowl and stir in the coconut milk, pepper and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Add the shrimp and turn to coat with the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- In a nonstick skillet, heat the oil. Add the shrimp and season with salt. Cook over moderately high heat until the shrimp are golden and just cooked through, 3 minutes. Spread each toast with crème fraîche and top with a shrimp. Garnish with cilantro and serve.