- 3/4 pound Chinese sausage
- 3 stalks of fresh lemongrass, first 2 layers peeled off and bottom 6 inches very thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 red Thai chile, thinly sliced
- 1 green Thai chile, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons finely julienned fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons gula Jawa or dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- 1 large, slightly underripe mango, peeled and cut into 2-by- 1/4-inch matchsticks (2 cups)
- 1 bunch watercress, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
How to make this recipe
- Put the sausage in a steamer basket and steam over boiling water until plump, about 15 minutes. Let cool slightly and pat dry, then slice thinly.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, toss the sliced lemongrass with the garlic, shallot, chiles, lime juice, soy sauce, ginger, gula Jawa, canola oil and sesame oil, tossing until the gula is dissolved.
- Add the Chinese sausage, mango, watercress and cilantro to the dressing in the bowl and toss well. Serve the salad warm or at room temperature.
Gula Jawa is a palm sugar that's made from the sap of various palm trees. Dark-brown sugar or muscovado sugar can be used in its place.Gula Jawa can be ordered from indomart.us.