- 8 ounces pad Thai rice noodles or other flat rice noodles
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 long hot red chile, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded, caps thinly sliced
- 1/2 recipe Lemongrass Grilled Chicken, breasts cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 3 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- Lime wedges and chopped cilantro, for serving
How to make this recipe
In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook the rice noodles until pliable. Drain and cool under running water. Shake off the excess water and cut the noodles into 4-inch lengths.
In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the eggs and cook over high heat, stirring just until very loosely set, about 2 minutes. Transfer the eggs to a plate. Add the remaining 3 tablespoons of oil to the skillet along with the chile, garlic and ginger and stir-fry over high heat until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the mushrooms and stir-fry until softened. Add the rice noodles and chicken and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add the eggs and stir-fry for 1 minute, breaking them up slightly.
In a small bowl, stir the fish sauce with the rice vinegar and brown sugar. Add this mixture to the skillet and stir-fry until the rice noodles are coated and beginning to brown lightly, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and serve with lime wedges and chopped cilantro.