- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Chef Way Eric and Sophie Banh marinate the chicken in a mixture of curry and fish sauce for up to 2 hours before stir-frying.
Easy Way A five-minute marinade allows the curry flavor to develop quickly.
- 2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon mild curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 fresh lemongrass stalks, tender inner white bulbs only, minced
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 3 serrano chiles, seeded and minced
- 5 cilantro sprigs
- Steamed rice, for serving
- In a bowl, combine the fish sauce, garlic, curry powder, salt and 1 1/2 teaspoons of the sugar. Add the chicken to coat.
- In a small skillet, mix the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar with 1 tablespoon of the water and cook over high heat, stirring, until the sugar is dissolved. Cook without stirring until a deep amber caramel forms, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons of water. Transfer to a very small heatproof bowl.
- Heat a wok over high heat. Add the oil and heat until shimmering. Add the lemongrass, shallot and chiles and stir-fry until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the chicken and caramel and stir-fry over moderate heat until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce is slightly thickened, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and top with the cilantro. Serve with rice.
A lightly chilled Beaujolais.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.